THE NUCLEAR NEWSREEL
May 16, 2012:
• NRC quietly weakens emergency evacuation rules. All the more reason NIRS' EPZ petition must succeed.
• Nuclear earmarks have friends in high places. Politicians--who want to slash Medicaid/Medicare, etc etc--still want taxpayers to fund failing USEC nuke project.
• After safety warning a full year ago, TVA still not ready for inspection of Fukushima-clone Browns Ferry reactors.
• USEC may be delisted from NYSE, run out of money June 1; still wants $2 Billion taxpayer loan for new uranium plant.
• New Fairewinds/FoE report: running at reduced power no solution for San Onofre's faulty steam generators.
• NC groups gear up to fight Duke Power's efforts to shift cost risks of new reactors to ratepayers.
• New poll: Americans are willing to pay more for clean energy--but not if "clean" includes nuclear and gas.