Friday, June 29, 2012

Ten Thousand Things: Separated by Oceans, United by Passion- Shut Down, Not Meltdown- Portland takes Action


“Going to the Melt Down was a pretty intense experience, I think. When I went with my mom to deliver the letter to the Prime Minister office, wow, that was scary! 27 floors up I came up and I was just dizzy haha, not sure of what we were expecting, but it all turned out fine. I wore a gas mask later for the die-in and that was really strange! People kept staring like umm… okee then… and it was like YEAH. PAY ATTENTION. STUFF IS HAPPENING HERE!

We made all these different cranes that my sister and I dropped on the “dead” people and then finally we died, which was pretty intense. If I had to live in one of those gas masks that would be…. impossible. Not only was it difficult to breathe, it was difficult to see, and at one point I had to cover up one of the holes in the end of my mask to get enough oxygen. When I went to give the origami birds to the two security guards (who didn’t take them, so the cranes were left on the steps) I had the mask on wrong and couldn’t breathe at all. Frightening thought. What if we had to really use those and yours was malfunctioning when you were outside? what then? ”

Willow Rakoncay, 13

Beth Rakoncay, at No Nukes NW, believes "This [nuclear contamination] is not only an issue for the Japanese people and surrounding environment. It is an issue for the world at large."

Beth, outside the Consulate of Japan,
hand-delivering a letter protesting the restart of the Ohi reactor

more > Ten Thousand Things: Separated by Oceans, United by Passion- Shut Down, Not Meltdown- Portland takes Action

~ NO NUKES NW ~

No comments:

Post a Comment