Nuclear Catastrophe in Japan “Not Equal to Chernobyl, But Way Worse”
Japan has raised the severity rating of its nuclear crisis from 5 to 7, the highest level, matching the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster. We go to Tokyo for an update from Thomas Breuer, head of the Climate and Energy Unit for Greenpeace Germany and part of a field team of radiation monitors in Japan. He notes that unlike Chernobyl, the damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant is in a densely populated area. “We warned the government that there are a lot of cities and villages outside the 20-kilometers evacuation zone where the radiation levels are so high that people need urgently to be evacuated, especially children and pregnant women, because they are the most vulnerable part of the population to radiation,” says Breuer. [includes rush transcript]
Nuclear Engineer Arnie Gundersen demonstrates How Fukushima's Fuel Rods Melted and Shattered
Fairewinds' Chief Nuclear Engineer, Arnie Gundersen, conducts a field demonstration simulating the impact of Fukushima's intense heat upon Zircaloy [zirconium alloy] fuel rods. Gundersen's demonstration shows that intense heat weakens and embrittles Zircaloy changing it from a sturdy metal to a brittle oxide that is easily shattered. Images from the post accident Three Mile Island nuclear core show embrittled and broken Zircaloy fuel rods in the nuclear reactor.
Closing Ranks: The NRC, the Nuclear Industry, and TEPCO are Limiting the Flow of Information
Arnie Gundersen discusses inconstancies between what the NRC, TEPCo, and the Nuclear Industry are saying privately and publicly. Documents from the french nuclear firm, Areva, and the NRC reveal what the industry knows about the Fukushima disaster.
Newly Released TEPCO Data Provides Evidence of Periodic Chain Reaction at Fukushima Unit 1
We provide analysis and solutions to complex engineering, environmental, energy, and legal issues. Fairewinds Energy Education Corporation is a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to educating the public on issues of nuclear safety and reliability. Your tax-deductible donations support our continuing educational efforts.
Latest at Ace Hoffman Nuclear power reports -
The Fukushima nuclear disaster will keep unfolding for a long time to come. DON'T get used to it! Get angry! Do something! At least, wash your vegetables and take your vitamins. It can't hurt.
(1) Ace Hoffman: It's official: Fukushima >= Chernobyl
(2) Conrad Miller: Particulate radiation explained
(3) Richard Bramhall: Low Level Radiation Campaign advice for the people of Japan
(4) Jerry Collamer: Fukushima, meet Chernobyl at Level 7
(5) Amy Goodman interview with Thomas Breuer: "It's way worse..."
(6) World Nuclear News: "No measurable effect on the general public is expected..."
How many nuclear engineers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
It's been one awful month. Full of tragedy, lies, and obfuscations. Most of this newsletter consists of links to items on the web, for example Helen Caldicott responds to journalist-cum-zealot George Monbiot in the Guardian, in her most succinct and powerful manner.
(1) How many nuclear engineers does it take to screw in a lightbulb? by Ace Hoffman
(2) Helen Caldicott responds (again) to George Monbiot
(3) Arnie Gundersen: "Core melt in fresh air"
(4) Conrad Miller: "An error in the criteria of judgement..."
(5) Knolls Atomic Power Labs: Disaster brewing in our own back yard
(6) Protest Diablo: Living and Dying Under the Shadow of a Nuclear Power Plant
(7) Canadian Uranium Mining: A Calamity Threatens Your Happiness
(8) Consequences of Chernobyl: Video interview with U.S. editor Janette Sherman
(9) Karl Grossman: Fukushima Nuclear Disaster at One Month: The Explosion of Nukespeak
• other Fukushima updates for background info and links -
Deepak Chopra homebase: Fukushima ~ Indian Point, NY
Fukushima a "Ticking Time Bomb"
> Nuclear Catastrophe in Japan “Not Equal to Chernobyl, But Way Worse”
Nuclear Power = Crime Against Humanity
Obama: No Money for Nukes!
Pacifica Nuclear Teach-in | The Code Killers by Ace Hoffman
Nuclear Obama, Radioactive Boars & Frogs of Fukushima
Fukushima still fuming - nuclear catastrophe update
CHECK FOR NEWS:
• news feeds on right, and links at top of previous posts
• more news feeds below
NO NUKES | RE-TOOL NOW